Due to the difficulties caused by COVID-19, the LOWI School will not be operating during the 2020-2021 school year. It is our hope that an immersion program will be available for the community in the near future.
Business Manager at the LOWI Lakota Language Immersion School
Location: Eagle Butte, SD
Start Date: Open Until Filled
Accepting Applications until August 31, 2018
Contract Length: 12 Months; part-time position
Report to: Principal
About the Organization: Lakȟótiyapi Okáȟtaŋ Wičhóičhaǧe Inc. (LOWI) is a 501(c)3 non-profit school that provides students with a Lakota language immersion education in Eagle Butte, South Dakota, on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation. LOWI will open in Fall 2018 through a federally funded grant with an initial class of 20 students.
Must be fluent Lakota speaker.
LOWI’s leading support staff professional works with the principal and the Board of Directors to ensure that the school has the financial resources to meet its educational goals.
- Responsible for the financial management of the school and development of budgets in consultation with the principal and the Board of Directors.
- Creates financial reports as necessary for the principal and the Board of Directors. Attends Board of Directors meetings as required to assist in the preparation of annual budgets.
- Develops sources of grant funding. Writes grants to secure funding for the school. Files required forms to meet obligations of grantors.
- Attends grantee meetings as required by grantors.
- Tracks budget and spending. Notifies the principal of significant variance from the budget.
- Proposes revisions to the budget, if necessary, in response to significant or unforeseen developments.
Maintenance & Reporting
- Proficient in the use of Attendance Tracking, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), accounting software, etc. computer programs.
- Manages payroll. Manages accounts receivable and payable.
- Orders supplies and materials with the support of the administrative assistant.
- Coordinates with staff and teachers to ensure that they have the supplies and materials they need to conduct their duties. Establishes procurement practices as necessary.
- Maintains high standards, in partnership with teachers and other staff, to enhance their effectiveness in order to achieve high standards of achievement in the school.
- Promotes the highest standards of business ethos within the school and ensures the most effective use of resources in support of the school’s learning objectives.
- Prepares reports to maintain the school’s accreditation, licensure, and quality assurance.
- Works with the school’s cook and administrative assistant to ensure that required forms for reimbursement of the school’s breakfast/lunch programs are filed with appropriate
- Negotiates formal agreements with suitable providers for agreed amounts, at agreed times.
- Monitor performance of providers to ensure that services are delivered in accordance with the agreed terms and in a cost-effective manner.
- Maintains a strategic financial plan that will track the trends and requirements of the school and will forecast future-year budgets.
- Participates in the positive school culture and climate.
- Willingly partakes in other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (required); master’s degree (preferred)
- Degree major in business, finance, accounting, operations management, etc. (preferred)
- Ability to read, write, or speak Lakota
- 5-10 years of work experience, preferably in education, business, or operations management
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills (e.g. 2+ years managing a team or many large projects)
- Strong project and time management skills; ability to effectively backwards plan, juggle multiple priorities with great attention to detail, and deliver consistent and timely results
- Strong strategic and analytical skills • Sense of humility, customer service mindset, and shows urgency and the ability to proactively solve problems and make decisions quickly
- Team player with strong interpersonal and management and relationship building skills
- Ability to lead, influence, and hold others accountable to high standards of operational excellence
- High level of comfort with financial oversight and budgetary tracking
- Ability to stay calm under pressure, especially in difficult conversations with parents and staff
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, and Google Suite
- Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a professional
- Must pass a background check and drug test
- Unwavering commitment to the mission of the Lakȟótiyapi Okáȟtaŋ Wičhóičhaǧe Inc. (LOWI) Lakota Language Immersion School and willingness to go above and beyond to meet the needs of students, families, and staff
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com