Due to the difficulties caused by COVID-19, the LOWI School will not be operating during the 2020-2021 school year. It is our hope that an immersion program will be available for the community in the near future.
LAKOTA LANGUAGE TEACHER
Contract Length: 12 Months (beginning January 2019)
Reports To: Principal
Must be a fluent Lakota speaker. Must be literate in reading and writing Lakota using a consistent phonemic orthography—or willing to adopt and learn it.
The Level 1 Teacher is responsible for instructing Kindergarten-level students at Lakȟótiyapi Okáȟtaŋ Wičhóičhaǧe Inc. (LOWI), a Lakota language immersion school. The teacher will create and follow lesson plans that utilize the target language Lakota. Subjects to be covered in the target language include science, literature, math, and social studies. In addition, the teacher will deliver praise, constructive criticism, and guidance to the students. The Level 1 Teacher is responsible for conducting occasional Lakota classes for parents of students and facilitating their attempts to incorporate Lakota phrases into everyday household interactions.
The ideal candidate will also have a background in Lakota instruction, teaching, mentoring, and/or working with elementary students. Lakȟótiyapi Okáȟtaŋ Wičhóičhaǧe Inc./ Lakota Language Immersion School is seeking candidates who are familiar with Common Core Standards, who are eager to pass on the Lakota language to younger generations, and who will be able to take on responsibilities (inside and outside of the classroom) at the school. The successful candidate will possess a keen understanding of the needs of elementary students as well as an appreciation for their common struggles and issues with the subjects at hand.
Lakȟótiyapi Okáȟtaŋ Wičhóičhaǧe Inc./ Lakota Language Immersion School is looking for a dedicated professional who wants to provide students with an exemplary, immersive Lakota education.
• Create and implement instructional resources for use in the classroom. Create lesson plans and modify accordingly throughout the year. Plan, prepare, and deliver instructional activities.
• Create a positive educational climate for students to learn in.
• Meet course and student performance goals. Work with principal to ensure initiatives are being met. Integrate goals (foremost is Lakota fluency), and objectives into lesson plans.
• Participate in ongoing training sessions, including the Lakota Summer Institute. Read and stay abreast of current topics in education. Utilize various curriculum resources.
• Observe and evaluate students’ performance. Maintain grade books. Grade papers and perform other administrative duties as needed.
• Utilize curricula that reflect the educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the students served.
• Manage student behavior in the classroom by invoking approved disciplinary procedures.
• Develop incentives to encourage participation in classroom activities.
• Tutor students on an individual basis. This may include parents and/or guardians.
• Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
• Work with the administrative assistant and the principal to ensure that the school website and social media sites are current with news from the school.
TO APPLY: Send email with cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Deadline to Apply: December 10